Re: capabilitiescompute_cred

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 10:43:44 EST

Stephen Smalley wrote:

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 15:21, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

I agree in principle, but it would still be nice to have a simple way to have useful capabilities without setting up a MAC system. I don't see a capabilities fix adding any significant amount of code; it just takes some effort to get it right.

I'm not opposed to making the existing capability logic more useable; I
just think that capabilities will ultimately be superseded by TE.

You can find my attempts to get it right in the linux-kernel archives, and I'll probably try to get something into 2.7 when it forks. With or without MAC, having a functioning capability system wouldn't hurt security.

Does revising the capability logic need to wait on 2.7? Have you
changed the logic significantly since the last patch you posted to lkml?

I don't _think_ it's changed, but I'll double-check that in a few days (I'm out of town). I'll also rediff my patch. Should it be a config option?

Anyway, I have no strong objection to seeing a change in 2.6 -- there's just some risk that it could break something that depends on the current (broken, undocumented) behavior.

Andrew: would you be willing to put a capabilities fix into -mm?

--Andy