Re: [RFC, PATCH] netlink based mq_notify(SIGEV_THREAD)

From: jamal
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 15:21:01 EST

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 14:42, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> mq_notify(SIGEV_THREAD) must be implemented in user space. If an event
> is triggered, the kernel must send a notification to user space, and
> then glibc must create the thread with the requested attributes for the
> notification callback.

I am ignorant about SIGEV_THREAD but from what i gathered above:

- something (from user space??) attempts to create a thread in the
kernel
- the kernel sends notification to user space when said thread is
created or done doing something it was asked
- something (in glibc/userspace??) is signalled by the kernel to do
something with the result

Is the above correct?

> The current implementation in Andrew's -mm tree
> uses single shot file descriptor - it works, but it's resource hungry.

Essentially you attempt to open only a single fd via netlink as opposed
to open/close behavior you are alluding to, is that correct?
then all events are unicast to this fd. I am assuming you dont need to
have more than one listener to these events? example, could one process
create such a event which multiple processes may be interested in?

> Attached is a new proposal:
> - split netlink_unicast into separate substeps
> - use an AF_NETLINK socket for the message queue notification

I am trying to frob why you mucked around with AF_NETLINK; maybe your
response will shed some light.

cheers,
jamal