Re: linux 2.4.25 crashes windows

From: Urban Widmark
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 14:47:44 EST

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Kyle Davenport wrote:

> No joke. 64-bit Windows Advanced Server 2003 blue-screens on file share
> access. I was using Samba 3.0 on RH8 to routinely access windows
> shares. When I upgraded from 2.4.22 to 2.4.25, any attempt to access a
> sub-directory of a share mounted from 64-bit Win2003, immediately
> crashes windows. I rolled back to 2.4.22 and no crash. I tried 2.4.25
> against a 32-bit 2003 Win2003, and no crash. I didn't test different
> versions of Samba. But on 2.4.25, trying to ls a sub-directory of the
> mounted share or cd to that sub-directory, instantly and repeatedly
> blue-screens windows.

When you say mount, does that mean smbfs?

2.4.25 allows you to enable the cifs unix extensions in smbfs. Perhaps
turning those off makes a difference?

The other change is that smbfs in 2.4.25 has large file support. smbfs in
2.4.24 should behave like 2.4.22.

> I have no idea how the kernel change could be causing this. Seems to me
> like it should depend entirely on Samba. I did attempt to reproduce the

smbmount is only a mount tool, it does not transfer any other data.

/Urban