Re: -mmX 4G patches feedback

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 12:48:29 EST

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:36:58AM -0600, Eric Whiting wrote:
> The 4G/4G patch is still useful for me -- although 64bit linux (x86_64) is the
> best 'real' long-term solution to large memory jobs.

what's your primary limitation? physical memory or virtual address
space? if it's physical memory go with 2.6-aa and it'll work fine up to
32G boxes included at full cpu performance.

if it's virtual address space and you've not much more than 4G of ram
3.5:1.5 usually works fine, and againt you'll run at full cpu
performance.

also make sure to move the task_unmapped_base at around 200M, so that
you get 1G more of address space for free.