Re: kernel stack challenge

From: Sergiy Lozovsky
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 13:51:19 EST

--- John Stoffel <stoffel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <serge_lozovsky@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> >> Policy has no place inside the kernel.
>
> Sergiy> Root privileges (ability to send a signal to
> any process,
> Sergiy> access any file and so on) are encoded in
> the kernel.
>
> But that does not require a LISP interpreter in the
> kernel either.
> And you are also mistaking policy with a capability.
> Who has root is
> a policy, what root can do is a capability. They
> are seperate issues.

UID is stored in a task structure in the kernel as
well as what to do with it. With VXE both policy and
capability are in a file (out of the kernel), though
there is an option to preload it into the kernel
before execution of particular system starts.

> Sergiy> So all interaction with the kernel goes via
> VM. Investing
> Sergiy> some time into carefull parameter check in
> VM allows to avoid
> Sergiy> the same work for each new application.
>
> You have not given us a simple example of how this
> VM would be used in
> the kernel and what it provides. I think that would
> help people
> understand why you think this is so needed.

I though I did. Here is a link to the site with
detailed description of the system. It works since
1999. - http://vxe.quercitron.com

It's not an example - it's working system.

There was an article in LinuxFocus - it's less
technical and more compact -
http://jamesthornton.com/linux/LinuxFocus/English/January2000/article133.shtml

Serge.