Re: AGP problem SiS 746FX Linux 2.6.5-rc3

From: Hemmann, Volker Armin
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 16:10:48 EST

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 22:48, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 10:37:02PM +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> > Capabilities: [c0] AGP version 3.0
>
> Ok, so your system is fully AGP v3 compliant, (both host and gfx card).
> The missing check highlighted in your diff means that we only do
> AGPv3 stuff if we have an AGP 3.5 host bridge. You have a 3.0 bridge,
> so it was falling back to AGP v2. My suspicion now is that the 648 and
> 746 chipsets vary too much for them to both use the generic routines,
> so I'll reinstate the check. It'll still report that it finds an
> AGP v3.0 device, but until someone comes forward with chipset docs,
> it looks like it'll be limited to AGP v2. (I'm amazed that it works
> at all, really).
>
> It survives a testgart run too ?
>
> Dave

I am amazed, too, that may box is running... ;o)

testgart works, I did a fresh reboot, to be sure:

version: 0.100
bridge id: 0x7461039
agp_mode: 0x1f004e1b
aper_base: 0xd0000000
aper_size: 128
pg_total: 112384
pg_system: 112384
pg_used: 0
entry.key : 0
entry.key : 1
Allocated 8 megs of GART memory
MemoryBenchmark: 1444 mb/s
MemoryBenchmark: 1474 mb/s
MemoryBenchmark: 1477 mb/s
Average speed: 1465 mb/s
Testing data integrity (1st pass): passed on first pass.
Testing data integrity (2nd pass): passed on second pass.

and dmesg:

Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected SiS 746 chipset
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xd0000000
<snip>
agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
agpgart: sis 648 agp fix - giving bridge time to recover
agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode

Glück Auf
Volker

--
Conclusions
In a straight-up fight, the Empire squashes the Federation like a bug. Even