Re: kernel stack challenge

From: Sergiy Lozovsky
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 12:17:54 EST

--- David Weinehall <tao@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 06:34:50PM -0700, Sergiy
> Lozovsky wrote:
> >
> > --- Horst von Brand <vonbrand@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Sergiy Lozovsky <serge_lozovsky@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> > >
> > > Why do you think it has been 2 pages (8KiB) for
> as
> > > long as I remember
> > > (essentially forever in Linux), and it has taken
> > > _lot_ of work to shrink
> > > it to 4KiB (- size of *current)?
> >
> > I described the possible solution (virtual stack)
> > which can easily take care of this problem for
> some
> > subsystems, or am I wrong. If code doesn't
> allocate
> > big buffers in stack my solution can make
> conversion
> > of existing code possible without _lot_ of work.
> (I'm
> > lazy - remember :-)
>
> You know, to me the combination of lazy programmer
> rhymes poorly with
> well-written code and security audits.

Don't take my non technical comments too seriously.
Life is too short to be serious all the time. If I was
not successful in making a joke - sorry.

(there was an old joke that programmers are very lazy
people - they don't like to work, so they write
programs and computers work for them; I just quoted
this joke).

Serge.