Re: amd64 questions

From: Bryan Koschmann - GKT
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 12:37:28 EST

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Debian seems to have some unique problems in the way they handle AMD64
> compared to other distributions. I would not trust what you read
> there, they make it much more complicated than it really is. The right
> forum would have been discuss@xxxxxxxxxx

I was hoping that was the case. I wouldn't think the only way would be so
"rigged". I will check out the x86-64 list, thanks for that.

> It's that way. You just need a 64bit capable cross compiler to compile
> the kernel, which is not that difficult to build from sources. You can also
> find binaries for that at
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/x86_64/supplementary/CrossTools/8.1-i386/
> (usable with rpm2cpio on non RPM distributions). Then you can
> cross compile the kernel in the normal way with
> make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-linux-

Great, much better than I had hoped. I always build from source, I'm
guessing I can find something on freshmeat.

> A few programs (namely iptables and ipsec tools) need to be used
> as 64bit programs because the 32bit emulation doesn't work for them.
> ipchains works though.

Okay, thanks for the tip, that probably would have gotten me when I
started installing.

Thanks for all the information Andi, it was extremely helpful!

Bryan