Re: NUMA API for Linux

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 17:39:26 EST

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:38:24 -0700
"Martin J. Bligh" <mbligh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think there are some design issues that still aren't resolved - we've
> been over this a bit before, but I still don't think they're fixed.
> It seems you're still making a copy of the binding structure for every
> VMA, which seems ... extravagent. Can we share them? IIRC, the only

Sharing is only an optimization that adds more code and potential
for more bugs (hash tables, locking etc.).

We can discuss changes when someone shows numbers that additional
optimizations are needed. I haven't seen such numbers and I'm not convinced
sharing is even a good idea from a design standpoint. For the first version
I just aimed to get something working with straight forward code.

To put it all in perspective: a policy is 12 bytes on a 32bit machine
(assuming MAX_NUMNODES <= 32) and 16 bytes on a 64bit machine
(with MAX_NUMNODES <= 64)

-Andi