Re: RFC: COW for hugepages

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 20:14:54 EST

> Implementing this for ppc64 only is just wrong. Before you do this
> I would suggest to factor out the common code in the various hugetlbpage
> implementations and then implement it in common code.

Have you actually looked at it and how huge pages are implemented
on the various architectures ?

Honestly, I don't think we have any common abstraction on things
like hugepte's etc... actually, archs aren't even required to use
PTEs at all.

I don't see how we can make that code arch-neutral, at least not
without a major redesign of the whole large pages mecanism.

Ben.