Re: setgid - its current use

From: Dhruv Gami
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 03:08:36 EST

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> On Thursday 08 April 2004 04:46, Dhruv Gami wrote:
> > I'd like to know the possibility of using setgid for users to switch their
> > groups and work as a member of a particular group. Essentially, if i want
> > one user, who belongs to groups X, Y and Z to create a file as a member of
> > group Y while he's logged on as a member of group X, would it be possible
> > through setgid() ?
>
> it is possible through chmod

but that would be an explicit way of doing it, right ? I'm looking for
doing this via some system calls or something transparent to the user. At
most I'd like to query the user for the group as which he wants to work.
Which would essentially be a question I ask at login or beginning of a
session.

regards,
Gami

--