Re: [parisc-linux] rmap: parisc __flush_dcache_page

From: James Bottomley
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 08:56:02 EST

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 08:41, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> Something to notice about that parisc __flush_dcache_page I sent you:
> there's no locking around searching the tree for vmas; there was never
> any locking around searching the list for vmas. arm is similar, but
> at least has no CONFIG_SMP, just a preemption issue. Any ideas?

I don't think you sent it to the parisc list?

I'm afraid we've just been pretty heavily updating flush_dcache_page
recently to fill a number of holes in the implementation.

As far as list traversal goes...we don't require the list to freeze:
acidentally flushing dead vmas would be harmless and added ones wouldn't
need flushing, so all we need would probably be a safe traversal and a
reference to prevent the vma being deallocated.

James