Re: HUGETLB commit handling.

From: Ray Bryant
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 12:23:10 EST

Andi,

Yes, that is the plan we are heading for. However, to make things simpler and follow the "subnit a patch that does one thing" rule, we will likely do two patches, one to add hugetlb commit handling, and a second one to add lazy allocation for i386 and IA64.

The other problem we are wrestling with is how to do the ia386 and ia64 lazy allocation code without breaking the architectures that haven't yet switched to lazy allocation. There will probbaly be some

#define ARCH_USES_HUGETLB_PREFAULT

nonsense added to deal with the latter, if needed.

Then, further down the road, we'd like to get the common code across architectures moved up from arch/mm to mm.

Andi Kleen wrote:
Andy Whitcroft <apw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

We have been looking at the HUGETLB page commit issue (offlist) and are
close a final merged patch. However, our testing seems to have thrown up

This includes lazy allocation for i386 and IA64, right?

If yes, I'm waiting for your final patch then to remerge the NUMA
policy code into it (currently NUMA API contains a dumb version of lazy
allocation for i386 without any prereservation)

I would contend this is the right thing to do, as it makes the semantics of
hugepages match that of the existing small pages. We are looking for a
consensus as this might be construed as a semantic change.

I think it's more clean to do it at shmget() time too, so it's probably the
right thing to do.

-Andi

--
Best Regards,