[BUG 2.2/2.4/2.6] broken memsets in net/sk_mca.c (multicast)

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 03:21:56 EST

[Please CC: me on reply, I'm not subscribed (yet)]

Hi all,

I just found two very weird memsets in drivers/net/sk_mca.c. I am not
working on that driver at all, but some grepping of the kernel source
pointed me to it so I thought I wouldn't keep quiet about it.

Here is the offending code:

static void skmca_set_multicast_list(struct net_device *dev)
{
(...)
if (dev->flags & IFF_ALLMULTI) { /* get all multicasts */
memset(block.LAdrF, 8, 0xff);
} else { /* get selected/no multicasts */
(...)
memset(block.LAdrF, 8, 0x00);
(...)
}
(...)
}

Is it just me, or are these two memsets just plain broken? Not only the
size is hardcoded, but the parameters are swapped! I guess that this
driver never worked in multicast mode. The correct memsets are
obviously:
memset(block.LAdrF, 0xff, sizeof(block.LAdrF));
and
memset(block.LAdrF, 0x00, sizeof(block.LAdrF));
respectively.

The odd thing is that the bug is there since the driver was introduced
in the 2.2.10 kernel. So, 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 kernels are all affected.

I admit I'm a bit surprized that this could survive until today, so just
tell me if it's me missing the point ;)

Thanks.

--
Jean Delvare