Re: Rewrite Kernel

From: J. Ryan Earl
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 14:58:00 EST

Denis Vlasenko wrote:

I doubt you would be capable of generating assembly that would be any
faster than gcc, and you would inherit all the accidental difficulties
that come with engineering software at a lower-level.

No, writing 'better than gcc' assembly is easy, gcc is far from stellar
in this regard. But it's painfully slow and non-portable.

How can "painfully slow and non-portable" be better? You mean faster?

Doesn't change the fact that I doubt he could write faster assembly. By the time he got done doing it in assembly, gcc 5 would probably be out generating much faster binaries, not to mention new major stable kernel revisions.