Re: amd64 questions

From: Paul Wagland
Date: Sun Apr 11 2004 - 06:39:37 EST

On Apr 10, 2004, at 21:02, Hugo Mills wrote:

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 08:49:04PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
line either? Or we can if we use AMD64 [DM] libraries with a AMD64
kernel? DM = Device Mapper right?

You can't use Device Mapper with 32bit user tools on a 64bit kernel
right now.

Well, you can, because that's what I'm doing on this machine. Joe
Thornber posted a patch[1] here a few weeks ago which fixes the
problem in a "sealing-wax-and-string" kind of way. It Works For
Me(tm), which is about all you can say about it -- it's not the
prettiest piece of code, even to my non-kernel eyes. :)

Ah, yes, but you missed the bit slightly later in the thread where Andi requested that this not be added to the kernel since it would then break all currently existing 64bit DM user tools. Newly compiled ones would, of course, work, but you introduce a DM user tool versioning problem, where the old 64 bit utils need to be used with old kernels, and the new tools need to be used with the new kernels. As far as I understood, this is the "official" line for the mainstream kernel. It is my hope that the disties all decide to use Thornbers patch when they do release, but only time will tell...

Of course, this also means that you can't "dual boot" your linux partition based if you use DM on the fact that you cannot use the same DM tools. For this reason I would like the problem to be fixed in the mainline kernel, but that is primarily a selfish concern ;-) as it makes my own migration harder.

Cheers,
Paul