S3 virge/Savage question

From: Alex Deucher
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 18:54:32 EST

Sorry this is off topic, but I'm at a loss at the moment and I'm hoping
someone here can help me. I'm trying to add dualhead support (duoview)
to the xfree86/XORG savage and virge drivers for savage mx/ix and virge
mx. I don't have databooks, but I found some incomplete info on the
virge mx and I've figured out how it's supposed to work for the most
part. I can program both dot clocks and set the mode on both crtcs,
but I can't get the second crtc to actually display anything. when I
drive an output with crtc2, the attached device just goes into
powersave mode. I'm guessing there must be an additonal "screen off"
bit or crtc2 enable bit I'm missing. Is sr1 bit 5 (screen off) global,
or specific to crtc1? Also both dot clocks work so that doesn't seem to
be the issue.

CRTC DCLK Output Result
---------------------------------------
crtc1 dclk1 FP/CRT/Both Works
crtc1 dclk2 FP/CRT/Both Works
crtc2 dclk1 FP/CRT/Both No signal
crtc2 dclk2 FP/CRT/Both No signal

Additional info about how duoview works (what I've been able to figure
out):
http://www.botchco.com/alex/new-savage/savage/DUOVIEW.txt
Current status of my savage duoview code:
http://www.botchco.com/alex/new-savage/html/
Any help would be much appreciated. Please cc: me directly as I'm not
on linux-kernel.

Thanks,

Alex Deucher
http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/AlexDeucher