Re: 2.6.5 : problem with MS Intellimouse Explorer buttons when using X

From: Kim Holviala
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 00:59:30 EST

On Monday 12 April 2004 13:16, Vitez Gabor wrote:

> > Try modprobing the even device (modprobe evdev) to get /dev/input/event?.
> > Then run hexdump -C /dev/input/event1 (or whatever even device represents
> > your mouse) to see what REALLY happens in the kernel.
>
> Everything looks OK: there are no superfluous mouse events. This is the
> output I got:
>
>[clip]
>
> So the mouse event regeneration in the kernel seems to be buggy.

I just checked with vanilla 2.6.5 and the virtual /dev/input/mice
(and /dev/psaux) indeed work as advertised. The problem, as I thought would
be, is with XFree and it's incredible bad mouse handling. The XFree code is
so bad I don't wanna touch it, but someone ought to write a driver for the
event device so that we wouldn't need the PS/2 emulation anymore.

Kim