Re: Does OSS sound work in 2.6 or not?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 12:05:25 EST

Andre Tomt wrote:

OSS works just fine here in 2.6, on all the machines I have. I don't use ALSA's OSS emulation layer, just the "native" OSS thats in the kernel. It's used just like in 2.4, same module names and all. No black magic involved.

Let me provide a bit more detail. I have machines with "Vortex boomerang" sound cards. I have a 2.4 driver for same, for OSS, under NDA. In 2.6 those cards appear to be supported in ALSA, but using the OSS emulation everything seems to work except there isn't any sound.

I've had several people tell me that they are using OSS/2.6 without the ALSA utilities. I just want to know if that's possible or not, the people with the machines don't want ALSA for reasons I would call pigheaded stupidity if they weren't paying me to say "personal preference" ;-)

In any case, that's the question, can I get there from here? I can't use just OSS, the Vortex drivers are in ALSA.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)