Re: linux-2.6.5-mjb1 Comment.

From: haiquy
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 15:36:37 EST

Hi,

Test 2.6.5-mjb2 for more than 2 days only, system is pretty stable (the same as
almost all other 2.6.x with my box). The significant performance improved
compared to 2.6.5-aa5, 2.6.5 and all others 2.6.x for with a low end box line mine
(660 Mhx Celeron 256 Mb RAM) make me write this comment. :-) Wish that some
improvement could make way to the mainline kernel.

The memory management is nearly perfect. Before I tried one ck kernel use auto
regulation swap and it was still much worse than this one as I noticed the value
in swappiness also changes by the time.

Here is one of the usage senario with my box: Running
1. Netbean-3.6-rc1
2. Tomcat 5.0.19
3. A dictionary server written in Java (my work)
4. Mozilla to test local Tomcat
5. 3 terminals, one centericq, one pine
6. Icewm

6. bash-2.05b$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 255240 252376 2864 0 7924 89532
-/+ buffers/cache: 154920 100320
Swap: 256960 3996 252964

Compared to all other 2.6.x and 2.4.x the swap usages for the same is about 30Mb
and if I do lots of compiling jsp pages, it increased to nearly 128Mb swap and
system became rather slugish. With 2.6.5-mjb2 the maximum swap usage I noticed is
30Mb and system response is quite good.

Thank you for doing a good job so I can still keep my old box for working :-)

Steve Kieu