Re: poor sata performance on 2.6

From: Konstantin Sobolev
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 08:04:04 EST

On Thursday 15 April 2004 16:37, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > /dev/sda:
> > setting fs readahead to 8192
> > readahead = 8192 (on)
> > Timing buffered disk reads: 84 MB in 3.06 seconds = 27.46 MB/sec
>
> 27 Mb/s is not 'very' bad for 80Gb drive.
>
> Can you verify that drive indeed is able to do better
> (quick test under Windows is in order)? It would be silly
> to try to hunt down problem which do not exist.

Here's this drive benchmarks under Windows on almost the same SATA controller:

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040123/wd740-01.html
actual numbers:
http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040123/wd740-08.html

It appears to be the fastest SATA drive up to the moment, I expected to get
something around 60-70 MB/sec

> If problem does exist, try 2.4 kernels.

I tried 2.4.25. There is no sata_sil driver there. siimage driver detects the
controller but doesn't detect the disk:

SiI3112 Serial ATA: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:0f.0
PCI: Found IRQ 12 for device 00:0f.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 12 with 00:0a.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 12 with 00:10.2
SiI3112 Serial ATA: chipset revision 2
SiI3112 Serial ATA: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide2: MMIO-DMA , BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
ide3: MMIO-DMA , BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio

that's all

--
/KoS
* A fool and his money are my kind of customer.