Re: Benchmarking objrmap under memory pressure

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 11:24:02 EST

Hugh Dickins wrote:

Last but not the least, you cannot know if any important app is going to
be hurted with mremap doing copies and invalidating important
optimizations for any application doing similar things that kde is doing
to save memory and speedup startup times (we don't even know yet if kde
itself is going to be hurted), you can take these risks with mainline, I
cannot risk with -aa, and anon-vma provides other minor benefits too
that we already discussed plus the IMHO important scalability point above.

You're on shakier ground there.

The worst that will happen with anonmm's mremap move, is that some
app might go slower and need more swap. Unlikely, but agreed possible.

It appears that users on small memory machines running kde are not of concern to you. Unfortunately that describes a fair number of people, not everyone has the big memory fast system. I will try to get some reproducible numbers, but "consistently feels faster" is a reason to keep running -aa even if I can't quantify it.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)