Re: SATA support merge in 2.4.27

From: Stefan Smietanowski
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 14:10:26 EST

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

Hi,

Jeff Garzik sent me a SATA update to be merged in 2.4.x.

A lot of new boxes are shipping with SATA-only disks, and its pretty bad
to not have a "stable" series without such industry-standard support.

This is the last feature to be merged on 2.4.x, and only because its quite necessary.

Any oppositions?

There are alternative ways* to get sata support for some chips but I
believe it's the right choice to do the 'full' route so I believe it's
the right choice. 2.4 will still be used for quite a while, especially
until "everybody" trusts 2.6, same way that happened with 2.2 and 2.4 ..

* siimage.c, add sata8237 entry to via driver, etc...

// Stefan