Re: problems with quad Xeon SuperServer came back 4 years later

From: Tigran Aivazian
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 14:56:10 EST

Ok, I fixed it again, only now the solution is a bit more involved:

a) set external cache to writethru (as opposed to writeback it was set
before)

b) disable both cxxx/dxxx range caching.

Failing to do either a) or b) causes MOST HORRIBLE performance one can
imagine.

Btw, the /proc/mtrr now looks a bit strange:

# cat /proc/mtrr
reg00: base=0x00000000 ( 0MB), size=4096MB: write-back, count=1
reg01: base=0x100000000 (4096MB), size=2048MB: write-back, count=1
reg02: base=0xf8000000 (3968MB), size= 128MB: uncachable, count=1

But, the performance is back to normal, i.e. gzip -9 of a 10M file no
longer takes 6 minutes but only 4 seconds it should. I am a bit worried
about this 128M uncachable gap, since /proc/iomem says that the address
falls within the range of System RAM:

# grep RAM /proc/iomem
00000000-0009fbff : System RAM
000a0000-000bffff : Video RAM area
00100000-fbdeffff : System RAM

Does this mean that if I access the uncachable memory range (e.g. some
program happens to be loaded there) it is going to be extremely slow
again?

I think these sort of "workarounds" should be in an SMP FAQ for the
ServerWorks chipset (or do people no longer use PIII Xeons and only use
the modern P4 and the 64bit ones? :)

I am surprized that nobody encountered this problem before.

Kind regards
Tigran