Overlay ramdisk on filesystem?

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 16:09:02 EST

I have a feeling that this may be a bit too off-topic, but I'm doing some Linux and hardware performance tests, and some of the tests will put the hardware into an unstable state which could get memory errors which could cause filesystem corruption.

I would like to know how I could overlay a RAM disk over a read-only filesystem so that all new files and modified files end up in the RAM disk, but old files are read from the disk. This way, when I reboot, the disk reverts back.

Suggestions?

Thanks.