Re: NFS and kernel 2.6.x

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 20:32:11 EST

På to , 15/04/2004 klokka 18:14, skreiv Charles Shannon Hendrix:

> NFS server:
>
> Sun SS5
> 10baseT ethernet (100baseT card available, not used)
> NetBSD 1.6.1
> pretty much a plain vanilla server setup
>
> Network:
>
> simple LAN with three machines, connected via a full duplex
> multi-speed switch
>
> NFS client:
>
> vanilla PC
> Intel Pro/100 ethernet
> Slackware 9.1
> Linux kernel 2.6.5, plain with no mods or patches, only enough
> drivers and features enabled to run my workstation
> configuration as close as I could get to my Linux 2.4
> kernel

This is pretty much covered in the NFS FAQ entry B10.

You are experiencing the classical effects of using unreliable transport
(i.e. UDP) on a mixed speed network. Writes to the server are getting
lost, because it is on a slow segment that cannot keep up with the
faster 100Mbit clients.

Use the 'proto=tcp' mount option, and all will be well again.

Cheers,
Trond