Re: radeonfb broken

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 11:49:11 EST

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:06:22 -0400 Timothy Miller wrote:

| BTW, now that we're on the topic of Radeon, could someone tell me how to
| tell the kernel the default resolution to use when initializing the
| console?
|
| When using a CRT, it defaults to 640x480. When I use my Planar PQ191
| 19" 1280x1024 monitor, it defaults to 1024x768. I want it to default to
| 1280x1024. There's a tool, fbset or something like that, which I can
| use AFTER bootup, but trying to put that into init causes all sorts of
| conflicts. I need to be able to tell the kernel, either at compile time
| or on the boot command line.

See <Documentation/fb/modedb.txt> for a little help: <quote>

Valid mode specifiers (mode_option argument):

Things between square brackets are optional.
</quote>

I haven't done this, but I've seen emails using syntax like so:

(from /etc/lilo.conf:)

append="video=radeonfb:1024x768-32@100"

or:
append="video=radeonfb radeonfb.mode_option=1280x1024-32@60"

or:
append="video=radeonfb:1024x768-32@100"

Looking at the driver source code, I'd guess that the middle
one above is closest to correct.

ISTM that Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt needs a paragraph
about syntax for specifying parameters for built-in modules vs.
loadable modules....

--
~Randy
"We have met the enemy and he is us." -- Pogo (by Walt Kelly)