Re: ANNOUNCE: AISF and ASTRIX

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 14:10:04 EST

On Fri, 2004-04-16 10:38:02 -0400, Aaron Smith <aws4y@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <407FEFCA.5070602@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hello,
> For the past few months the Virginia Astronomical Instrumentation
> Laboratory has been working on a piece of software to control its
> observing systems. These systems are built on the GNU/Linux Operating

You're kind of offtopic :)

> The framework called the Astronomical Instrumentation Software
> Framework, or AISF. The goal of the framework is to provide simple
> functions for observing tasks, such as exposing a CCD frame or writing a
> FITS image to the disk. These tasks are handled with one or two uniform
> function calls for all instruments. This makes it easy for even novice
> programmers to automate data acquisition tasks.

Does that include moving the refractor to a given position?

> The ASTRIX program is built on top of this framework and is designed

Bad name:) Reminds me to those people at some french comic producer (as
in "Asterix and Obelix", or in "Mobilix" ...).

After all, I really like the idea of having a *good* interface to all
the hardware in an astronimical lab.

MfG, JBG (who really likes looking into deep sky:)

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg