Re: NFS and kernel 2.6.x

From: Matthias Urlichs
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 11:49:01 EST

Hi, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> As for blanket statements like the above: I have seen no evidence yet
> that they are any more warranted in 2.6.x than they were in 2.4.x.

Oh, I saw the problem too: a slow client couldn't do full-size reads from
a fast server because the buffer on the client's network card was just 8k.

Granted that the client is a slow m68k Mac, but 2.4 was fast enough to get
the first packet entirely off the card before the last one overruns the
buffer -- while 2.6 has a bit more latency, so it can't.

Apparently that bit of increased latency is offset by the fact that the
machine still limps along if I packet-bomb it. Under 2.4 it locked solid,
so overall I think that the 2.6 situation is an improvement.

--
Matthias Urlichs