Re: SATA support merge in 2.4.27

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 15:29:53 EST

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:36:11 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
>Andreas Hartmann <andihartmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>>> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 10:51:02AM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>>> And again, unfortunately not everyone is running v2.6 on their production
>>> environment, yet.
>>
>> That's right! I certainly won't run it before 2.6.20 or even higher on
>> desktops. For example, 2.6 vanilla is much to slow (about 9%), even on
>> desktops - tested with compiling. It must be fixed.
>
>This most likely comes from the 1ms timer tick vs 10ms previously. I
>doubt this will change in mainline, but you can change it yourself
>with an easy tweak. Just change the HZ parameter back to 100

I have a patch which adds CONFIG_HZ for the i386 and ppc architectures,
allowing you to choose HZ==1000, HZ==100, or HZ=512. I originally wrote
it because my oldest test box (a 486) loses lots of timer interrupts
during heavy disk I/O otherwise, but I also use it on less handicapped
boxes because I find HZ==1000 to be wasteful and of little value for me.

http://www.csd.uu.se/~mikpe/linux/patches/2.6/patch-config-hz-2.6.6-rc1

/Mikael