Question on forcing cache data to write out

From: Phy Prabab
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 02:37:54 EST

Sirs,

I am interested in understanding how tot tune the 2.6
kernel such that I can get the WM to write out data
that is held within the "cache".

My situtation is that I have a NFS file server that
gets data in bursts. The first couple of burst move
quickly, but once the system memory becomes filled,
mostly held in "cache", then my NFS performance drops.
The issue here is how to get the VM to write out the
data held within the cache when times are slow (which
amounts to 90% of the time)? I have played a little
bit with the /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio, etc with out
much help.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your valuable time.
Phy Prabab