Re: 2.6.5, ACPI, suspend and ThinkPad R40

From: Charles Bueche
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 06:15:05 EST

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 09:16:02 -0400 (EDT)
vcjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Vincent C Jones) wrote:
> Is it my imagination or is there an acute lack of interest in
> supporting notebook features in 2.6.X? Since the early days of 2.5.X,
> there have been questions raised regarding suspend/resume and related
> questions of critical importance to mobile users. All (at least those
> associated with IBM ThinkPads) have been ignored by developers, with
> the only responses coming from other notebook users expressing similar
> concerns.

I can add my "me-too" here. I own a Dell I8600 which perform excellently
in gentoo with 2.6.x, with the only remaining issue being
suspend+resume.

I have tried several times to understand this ACPI thing, only to find
that the KISS principle has been forgotten when it has been designed.
Maybe it's simply not possible to design something"acceptably simple" in
this business, but the fact that Alan Cox has called it "terminally
broken" tend to support my point of view.

My intend is not to start a flamewar here, but with laptop HW coming
down in price, we have to provide a better support for casual users.

I can't contribute code here, but I can test things you throw at me for
Dell I8600, so feel free.

Charles

--
Charles Bueche <charles@xxxxxxxxx>