System hang with ATI's lousy driver

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 13:51:45 EST

So, since XFree86's lousy open-source Radeon driver won't do OpenGL right, I am forced to use ATI's lousy proprietary Radeon driver. With that, I can do OpenGL right, but when I exit the X server, the system hangs completely. I get lots of vertical lines on the screen, but I can't even ping the computer.

Does anyone know of any conflict between using ATI's X11 driver and the Radeon console driver at the same time?

I'm using kernel gentoo-2.4.25.

I'm getting really sick of not being able to get new graphics cards to just work properly under Linux.

Thanks.