How to debug stripped binary or set kernel breakpoint (Was: HELP: Konqueror...)

From: Bob Smith
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 18:53:18 EST

From: "Neil Schneider" <pacneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [SLE] HELP: Konqueror 3.2 hangs SuSE 2.4.21-202-smp4G in 'ps uax'
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

First thing I would check is memory. Run memtest86 for several hours if
any errors appear remove or replace the offending memory. Then look for
other problems. Every time I've had this kind of unreproduceable random
error it's been a bad memory module.

Thanks for the help. I memtest86's overnight and came up with no errors on my one DIMM of Crucial Non-ECC, Non-parity PC2100 SDRAM (6464Z256).

Updating, strace shows a hang on a /proc/<pid>/stat read, as whown below. When run under strace, you can recover the terminal with Ctrl-C if and only if no strace log file is specified.

I'd like to use ps, or better yet vmstat as test tools, since they reliable freeze. They are, unfortunately stripped binaries under SuSE 9.0. Can anyone tell me if there's an easy way to get the symbols file(s) for these executable(s)?

Also, am I correct in thinking /boot/System.map will allow me to trace into the kernel?

TIA,
Bob