Re: tcp vulnerability? haven't seen anything on it here...

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 09:26:12 EST

Richard,

you are confusing several thinks, stateful vs stateless protocols. A ping
doesn't need a session on the remote host to be interpreted. A TCP segment
whose flags don't show a SYN need a session to be interpreted. Please note
that I'm not arguing that you won't crash a linux box with an RST addressed
to a broadcast address, I'm saying that there's absolutely no reason why
this should reset all connections, as you proposed it. Someone would have
had to code this explicitly, it cannot be a simple side effect.

Imagine that each packet which enters the system is presented to a hash
table containing the sessions, and that its session is looked for into
this hash table. You agree that in such code, there's no reason to find
anything that runs through all sessions and kill everyone, since this
code has no use there, and has no reason to be implemented on purpose !

Look at functions such as tcp_v4_lookup() in net/ipv4/tcp_ipv4.c for
example. When it reaches tcp_v4_lookup_established(), you find this :

for(sk = head->chain; sk; sk = sk->next) {
if(TCP_IPV4_MATCH(sk, acookie, saddr, daddr, ports, dif))
goto hit; /* You sunk my battleship! */
}

You cannot match more than once.

Cheers,