Re: CIFS/SMBFS failing under load in 2.6.X

From: Urban Widmark
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 12:44:03 EST

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> Whenever I put a high load on CIFS or SMBFS requests timeout and then the
> benchmark or whatever I run fails. I ran the same tests successfully with
> a 2.4.25 kernel. This is a connection to a samba 3.0.2 server.
>
> SMBFS logs the following:
>
> Apr 12 15:59:25 testbox kernel: smb_add_request: request [ca7b7280,
> mid=12891] timed out!
> Apr 12 15:59:25 testbox kernel: smb_writepage_sync: failed write,
> wsize=4096, result=-5

> CIFS logs:
>
> Apr 12 17:02:00 testbox kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in write = -6
> Apr 12 17:02:29 testbox kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in write = -5
> Apr 12 17:02:29 testbox last message repeated 8 times
> Apr 12 17:02:39 testbox kernel: CIFS VFS: Need to reconnect after session
> died to server

smbfs and cifs does not share any code although I believe both of them
will send multiple requests in parallel. Any chance that this is the
server or network?

smbfs at least does not limit the number of requests it sends. It could be
a problem if the server has a low limit (should be the maxmux field in the
smb_conn_opt struct).

I could send a patch for this, but unless cifs does the same then that is
probably not it.

/Urban