Re: Large inlines in include/linux/skbuff.h

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 14:25:39 EST

Denis Vlasenko wrote:

If this a specialized machine, with a small program that mostly uses
recv() & send() syscalls, then, inlining functions is a gain, since
icache may have a 100% hit ratio. Optimization guidelines are good for
the common cases, not every cases.

And if it is NOT a specialized machine? icache miss will nullify
any speed advantages, while you still pay space penalty.
We don't need to pay for at least ~250 kbytes wasted overall
in allyesconfig kernel for each and every specialized
setup conceivable, IMHO.

The point is : if this IS a specialized machine, then the kernel is custom one, not allyesconfig.

This is imho what I do for specialized machines, and yes, I even inline some specific functions, like fget() and others.

But I didnt asked to not doing the un-inlining, I was just reminding that some guys (like me) are doing micro-optimizations that 'seem' to go against Optimizations guidelines from intel or AMD.

Eric