Re: Unable to read UDF fs on a DVD

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 10:52:03 EST

Kronos wrote:
Il Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 02:21:15PM -0600, Pat LaVarre ha scritto:

P.S. Five postscripts:

1)

even with ide-scsi, though.

Whoa. You weren't engaging in the taboo act of running ide-scsi in 2.6
back when ls failed, were you?

No, I wasn't. I'm aware that ide-scsi is not needed with 2.6. I had to
recompile the kernel with ide-scsi to make Philips fsck happy.

I believe that it would be more correct to say that ide-scsi is not required to burn CDs and DVDs, providing you use cdrecord which has been modified to work with ide-cd. Since that's the major use it equates to "not needed" if that's all you do.

As you seem to note, some DVD burners don't work without ide-scsi unless you have some tricks and/or patches, but do work with ide-scsi. Yes, even in 2.6.

I totally agree you should try to run without it, but I'd compile it as a module in case you need some additional data points.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)