Driver in user space/RS485

From: Martin Angler
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 12:57:20 EST

Hello,

I have to develop a pseudo-device driver that gets data from a RS485
interface, frames it and gives the framed data to libpcap. This whole thing
is a university project. Now I know, that writing a kernel module I can't be
using the standard C library for invocations of read() or ioctl() methods in
order to get the data from the RS485 interface.

So my plan would be writing a driver xxx which has its file operations
xxx_read, xxx_open and xxx_release. xxx_read should call then some kind of
read method in order to get the data from the RS485. Are there any exported
symbols from the RS485 driver? Or do I have to write the whole driver in
user space in order to access the RS485 interface?

Thanks in advance,
Martin Angler