[CHECKER] warnings in fs/ext3/namei.c (2.4.19) where disk read errorsget ignored, causing non-empty dir to be deleted

From: Junfeng Yang
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 01:43:32 EST

Hi,

We checked EXT3 filesystem on 2.4.19 recently and found 2 cases that look
like bugs. For both of the cases, disk read errors are ignored, which
appears to cause a non-empty directory to be wrongly deleted or a dir to
contain more than one entries with identical names.

I'm not sure if they are real bugs or not, so your confirmations
/clarifications are appericated.

Please let me know if anything isn't clear

all warnings are in file fs/ext3/namei.c

[BUG] A non-empty dir may be deleted because ext3_read errors are ignored
by ext3_find_entry. empty_dir is called whenenver ext3_rmdir tries to
remove a directory.

static int empty_dir (struct inode * inode)
{
bh = ext3_bread (NULL, inode,
offset >> EXT3_BLOCK_SIZE_BITS(sb), 0, &err);
if (!bh) {
#if 0
ext3_error (sb, "empty_dir",
"directory #%lu contains a hole at offset %lu",
inode->i_ino, offset);
#endif
offset += sb->s_blocksize;
ERROR ---> continue;
}
de = (struct ext3_dir_entry_2 *) bh->b_data;
}

[BUG] A dir may end up containing more than one entries with identical
names because because disk read errors are ignored by ext3_find_entry.
ext3_find_entry is called by lots of other ext3 functions (ext3_add_entry,
ext3_unlink, ext3_rename)

static struct buffer_head * ext3_find_entry (struct dentry *dentry,
struct ext3_dir_entry_2 ** res_dir)
{
if ((bh = bh_use[ra_ptr++]) == NULL)
goto next;
wait_on_buffer(bh);
if (!buffer_uptodate(bh)) {
/* read error, skip block & hope for the best */
brelse(bh);
ERROR ---> goto next;
}