Re: 2.6.6-rc2-bk3 (and earlier?) mount problem (?

From: Grzegorz Kulewski
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 15:40:14 EST

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:04:59AM +0400, Paul P Komkoff Jr wrote:
> > > Excuse me? The damn thing had found nothing. However, it didn't care
> > > to release the devices it had claimed - hadn't even closed them, as the
> > > matter of fact. That's a clear and obvious bug, regardless of any
> > > disagreements.
> >
> > As far as I can see from here, evms parsed partition table, called
> > dmsetup several times and created corresponding nodes in /dev/evms.
>
> ... without saying anything?
>
> > Logic is easy - evms trying to concentrate block device management
> > into its own hands, but we have in-kernel partitioning code to
> > consider ...
>
> How nice of them.
>
> Well, AFAICS that means
> a) either kernel side of the things or the userland tools should
> printk/syslog - at least that evms device had been set up
> b) any distribution that runs this from initrd/init scripts would
> better take care of having sane fstab.
> c) nobody sane should put that as default. Oh, wait, it's gentoo
> we are talking about? Nevermind, then.

But what default? Gentoo just calls evms_activate before mounting
filesystems to check if there are evms volumes (because filesystems can
reside on it). And, according to man page, this is the right usage of
evms_activate. And Gentoo could not know easily that I have no evms
volumes in the system. And I possibly could insert some and boot Gentoo
(and for example have label not device in fstab to specify fs to mount). I
really think that evms_activate should not take the device that is not for
it. And I think Gentoo is right. (And it is the best distro I ever tried.)

Grzegorz Kulewski