Re: IDE throughput in 2.6 - it's good!

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 15:42:01 EST

Ken Moffat wrote:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:

Ken Moffat wrote:

So, despite the numbers shown by hdparm looking worse, when only one
user is doing anything the performance is actually improved. I've no
idea which changes have achieved this, but thanks to whoever were
involved.

I've done tests using dd to and from the raw block device under 2.4 and
2.6. Memory size (kernel boot param mem=) doesn't seem to affect
performance, so I assume that means that dd to and from the raw block
device is unbuffered. When I compare read and write speeds between 2.4
and 2.6, 2.6 is definately slower. The last 2.6 kernel I tried this
with is 2.6.5.

Well, my original test used cp, sync, rm, sync. I've no statistics
from running 2.4 on this box to compare against.

Based on my experience, cp and anything else that uses the filesystem gets buffered. I can tell this because, without sync, the throughput varies with memory size. Furthermore, I wanted to know raw throughput, so I used a block device so I could eliminate filesystem overhead.

Reading and writing the block device does not seem to be buffered because the run time is not affected by memory (host RAM) size. That is, unless dd does an implicit sync.

The numbers I get when using dd to and from one of my drives under a 2.4 kernel with the drive connected to the on-board IDE controller are roughly the same as published benchmarks.