Re: 2.6.6-rc2-bk3 (and earlier?) mount problem (?

From: Grzegorz Kulewski
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 17:00:51 EST

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:39:09PM +0200, Grzegorz Kulewski wrote:
> > > c) nobody sane should put that as default. Oh, wait, it's gentoo
> > > we are talking about? Nevermind, then.
> >
> > But what default? Gentoo just calls evms_activate before mounting
> > filesystems to check if there are evms volumes (because filesystems can
> > reside on it). And, according to man page, this is the right usage of
> > evms_activate.
>
> And that usage of evms_activate takes over all normally partitioned devices
> and shoves equivalents of partitions under /dev/evms, right? So in which
> universe would that be the right thing to do without a big fat warning and
> update of /etc/fstab?

>From evms_activate man page:

DESCRIPTION
The evms_activate command discovers all EVMS volumes and
activates kernel devices for all volumes
that are not yet active. The command should be run at boot time so
the file systems that reside on
the volumes can be mounted. If EVMS volumes are listed in the
/etc/fstab, evms_activate should be run
before /etc/fstab is processed (which is distribution specific). If
the root file system is on an
EVMS volume, evms_activate should be run from the init-ramdisk.

And where is the big fat warning that you can not use your normal devices
anymore?

And I still do not understand why my old device names that every script /
program on the Eartch uses cannot be used anymore... And if I really can
not use them why their device files in dev do not disappear? (I am using
udev.)

And can I use fdisk to modify and then reload partition table in this new
approach? And will mount that is searching for filesystem with specified
label find it on new device? And should not the kernel warn in case
someone is touching the old device?

Grzegorz Kulewski