Re: What does tainting actually mean?

From: Ville Herva
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 05:28:06 EST

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 01:51:20AM -0400, you [Karim Yaghmour] wrote:

> Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> >What I mean is, how does it help to know that a kernel is tainted? When
> >I'm working on Software Suspend and someone sends me an oops, I don't
> >really care whether it's marked as tainted or not. For all I know, even
> >if it's not tainted, they may have thrown in half a dozen different
> >patches aside from Suspend, any one of which could be playing a role in
> >the appearance of the oops. It doesn't help me to know that the kernel
>
> The legal/moral implications of taint/binary-mods/etc. aside, I think it
> may be worth putting some thought into coming up with a way to identify
> which patches were applied to a kernel -- given the wide-spread use of this
> method to add/remove/amend kernel functionality. Maybe there should be a
> /proc/sys/kernel/patches file at runtime which would provide a list of
> applied patches and some characteristics/description? When patches are
> applied, there could then be a toplevel .patches file which all patch
> submitters/providers/distributors would be strongly encouraged or
> <form>insert your favorite coercive method or torture technique here</form>
> to amend as they add their code. At build time, the makefile could then
> use this file the generate some header used by the code printing out the
> /proc/sys/kernel/patches. At oops time, the content of this file would also
> be part of the dump.

It has been suggested before:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=linux.kernel.20020312114234.GF128921%40niksula.cs.hut.fi&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3D%2BRe%253A%2B%255Bmodule%252Fpatch%255D%2Boptional%2B%252Fproc%252Fpatches%2B%253F%253F%2B%26btnG%3DSearch

but it didn't exactly raise enormeous interest.

-- v --

v@xxxxxx