Re: Load hid.o module synchronously?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 09:06:25 EST

Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
Chris Friesen <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

For example, I invoke "modprobe hid" to make my USB keyboard work.
This loads the module and exits immediately, causing my script to
proceed, before the USB keyboard is probed and ready.
I want to wait until the driver is finished initializing (i.e., a USB
keyboard is either found or not found) before my script continues.
How can I do that?

How about scanning the usb device tree to see if the keyboard is
present and properly detected?

You mean under sysfs or usbfs? Or both?

I see how I can scan for a USB keyboard after loading the USB host
controller module. I think. But what do I look for, exactly, to tell
when hid.o has hooked itself up to the keyboard?

You need to be able to tell "not hooked yet" from "never saw it" for reliable operation. I don't know how to do that, sorry.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)