Re: Low bogomips on IBM x445 (kernel 2.6.5)

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 16:20:18 EST

john stultz wrote:

This is expected. Since the IBM x440/x445 are NUMA systems, we cannot
use the TSC (cpu cycle counter) as a time source. Instead we use an off
chip performance counter which runs at 100Mhz. This then translates to a
bogoMIPS value of ~200.

That sounds very strange. Bogomips is supposed to be how many busy-wait loops the cpu can do in a second, or at least that's what I've seen in all the books. It shouldn't matter what the time source is.

I would expect a NUMA machine to have different bogomips values for the different CPUs, but the values should still be the same as if that cpu was on a uniprocessor system, no?

Chris