Re: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell

From: Brett E.
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 13:08:24 EST

Brett E. wrote:

Andrew Morton wrote:

"Brett E." <brettspamacct@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I see no swapout from the info which you sent.

pgpgout/s gives the total number of blocks paged out to disk per second, it peaks at 13,000 and hovers around 3,000 per the attachment.

Nope. pgpgout is simply writes to disk, of all types.

That is what is confusing me.. From the sar man page:

pgpgin/s
Total number of kilobytes the system paged in from disk per second.

pgpgout/s
Total number of kilobytes the system paged out to disk per second.

Anyone know what I should believe? Sar's pgpgin/s and pgpgout/s tell me that it is paging in/out from/to disk. Yet pswpin/s and pswpout/s are both 0. Swapping and paging are the same thing I believe. pgpgin/out refer to paging, pswpin/out refer to swapping. So I for one am confused.

I guess I could dig through the source but I figured someone might have encountered this disrepency in the past.