Re: always store MODULE_VERSION("") data?

From: Matt Domsch
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 21:59:04 EST

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:55:22AM +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 00:58, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > How hard would it be to always include the space for the
> > MODULE_VERSION("") data rather than specifying it in each file that
> > doesn't care, and only modules with their own versioning could put
> > MODULE_VERSION("myversion") to override the default?
>
> If this is desirable, I would prefer to separate "version" and
> "srcversion" (or some other name). This is done in the following patch
> (we still mangle RCS-style version strings), for all modules using
> MODULE_VERSION, and adds CONFIG_MODULE_SRCVERSION_ALL if you want it in
> all modules.
>
> Works here, but these changes tend to break things...

Works for me too. All modules regardless if if they have a
MODULE_VERSION() entry get the srcversion field in .modinfo. If they
also have a MODULE_VERSION(), that data shows up in .modinfo also.
This is exactly what I wanted.

Now to find GregKH's patch to export this stuff via sysfs...

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch