Re: [ckrm-tech] Re: [RFC] Revised CKRM release

From: Herbert Poetzl
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 18:46:00 EST

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 06:17:39PM -0400, Jeff Dike wrote:
> nagar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx said:
> > Jeff, do you have any numbers for UML overhead in 2.6 ?
>
> It obviously depends on the workload, but for "normal" things, like kernel
> builds and web serving, it's generally in the 20-30% range. That can be
> reduced, since I haven't spent too much time on tuning. I'm aiming for the
> teens, and I don't think that'll be too hard.

hmm, just wanted to mention that linux-vserver has
around 0% overhead and often allows to improve
performance due to resource sharing ...

basically it's a soft partitioning concept based on
'Security Contexts' which allow to create many
independant Virtual Private Servers (VPS), which
act simultaneously on one box at full speed, sharing
the available hardware resources.

see http://linux-vserver.org for details ...

best,
Herbert

PS: UML and Linux-VServer play together nicely ...