Re: [ckrm-tech] Re: [RFC] Revised CKRM release

From: Herbert Poetzl
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 09:50:49 EST

On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 09:10:15AM +0300, Alex Lyashkov wrote:
> ? ???, 01.05.2004, ? 02:43, Herbert Poetzl ?????:
> > >
> > > It obviously depends on the workload, but for "normal" things, like kernel
> > > builds and web serving, it's generally in the 20-30% range. That can be
> > > reduced, since I haven't spent too much time on tuning. I'm aiming for the
> > > teens, and I don't think that'll be too hard.
> >
> > hmm, just wanted to mention that linux-vserver has
> > around 0% overhead and often allows to improve
> > performance due to resource sharing ...
> >
> Herber please not say vserver have - 0 overhead.
> it generally wrong.

well, I said around 0%, but it's actually a long time
since we measured that, and I'll schedule some
tests next week, to see if the overhead is still
not measureable with 'normal' userspace testing

> But overhead less than UML is right.

that is for sure, and it benefits from not having
everything twice, like inode cache, dentry cache,
page cache ...

best,
Herbert